Dear TravelAnne Explorers Getting Back In The Saddle!
Updated: May 17
There are more options available to you every week including sailing from US waters starting mid-July! The key is “vaccinate to vacate!”
By: Anne Heintz
Whether it's a 2-week vacation or a 2-day stay-cation, TravelAnne is your go-to advisor.
Following the news cycle lately has been interesting. Actually, it’s been more like riding a rollercoaster. I’m not going to unpack everything but overall, I would have to say things are trending positive, especially for those of you planning travel.
Here are some of the headlines:
- Nearly 40% of adult Americans have been fully vaccinated. It may be more by the time you read this as 2.7 million people are getting the shot every day. Health officials say the 40% benchmark is significant and that Vaccines appear to be starting to curb new Covid-19 infections in the USA.
- The CDC now says that people who are fully vaccinated “can travel safely within the United States.” It also says it’s safe for fully vaccinated people to walk, exercise and gather outdoors in small groups without masks… which it seems like most people were doing anyways!
- Speaking of the CDC, it opened the door for Cruise Lines to start sailing out of the US in mid-July for fully vaccinated passengers.
- A number of European countries (including Croatia and Greece) announced that they will be open to vaccinated Americans in May.
- The US airlines reacted quickly. American, Jet Blue , Delta and United announced they are adding new domestic and international flights for the summer in anticipation of greater demand.
- Overall, air travel in the USA is way up over this time last year. The TSA reports it checked well over 1-million passengers each day over the last 2-months.
- On the downside, the US State Department has people scratching their heads over this move. It added significantly to the list of countries to its “Do Not Travel” advisory list. The list now consists of roughly 80% of the countries on the planet. Stay tuned! I would not be surprised to see this adjusted soon.
Now let’s get to us!
Some of you have been exploring, some of you are planning to explore as we speak and others of you are “considering” it. These are all positive signs in my mind! Dreaming as well as doing are both good for the soul!
Where to go, you ask? I have a number of trips booked to the Caribbean, others to Hawaii and Tahiti, western US States, Europe for the Fall and LOTS of cruises for 2022. More places are opening up for those who are vaccinated. I see that as a trend moving forward and will continue to evolve.
Do you want to get back on the high seas this year? YES it is possible as mentioned earlier. I am happy to work with you to find what fits your schedule and budget. If you are all inclined DO IT NOW as the call volume to cruise lines is at an all time high!
I also know that there are others of you who feel a bit more nervous about heading out of your “bubble” of the last year. I can help! I talked with a client the other day who was definitely feeling a bit of angst about it all, but also said she was tired of sitting at home and watching her friends travel. Let’s start with a weekend getaway, I said. We can curate it together to whatever will make you feel happy and comfortable!
I know many of you don’t want to “bother” me for what you consider to be “trivial” travel, such as a domestic weekend getaway. How can I say this delicately? IT IS NOT A BOTHER! **(I know that reads like I’m yelling, but I’m actually smiling as I type!)**
Like everyone in my industry, I want you to have a positive travel experience whether it’s 2-weeks or 2-days.
I’ve been in the business long enough to have a world-wide network of trusted contacts and associates. This includes the metropolitan DC area where many of you are based. Together, we would be thrilled to help make any stay a special one.
Just a note about this network of industry contacts otherwise known as “Team TravelAnne!” A lot of them have visited my office in the past. Many have become dear friends over the years… even more so over the last 12-months. More importantly though, this is a resource that I encourage you to take advantage of… regardless of whether you’re needing a great adventure or a quick escape!
As I have said numerous times, things are always changing. It is MY job to stay on top of what is closed and what is open. We are beyond the days of “I can’t go anywhere!”
The head of the EU just announced that their countries should be opening for vaccinated Americans at some point this summer. I think that if Boris’ UK strategy plan goes as scheduled that Americans will be able to travel there by the end of June. I see this as a viable option even for the more intrepid as their vaccination rates are even better than ours right now. Just something to keep on your short-term radar if you are dreaming of tea and crumpets, or golfing on an authentic links course, walking through a lush garden, buying a bespoke suit or shopping in Covent Garden or Portobello Road…
Not ready to travel that far? Do what we have done this past year. Take relatively short trips by air or automobile. This week we are featuring Savannah. Another city on my “bucket list” that I always wanted to see but always seemed to find other more “exotic” places to visit instead. We are both so happy that we DID take the time!
We travel well together and always find a way to try and make sure to experience the things that both of us enjoy, whether it be discovering neighborhoods, sampling the local cuisine, shopping for local artwork, spending time in a museum, going to a local sporting event, finding a rooftop or taking time on the water if there is any. What are your favorite things to do while on vacation? My best advice is to keep it simple if you are just getting back on your travel “saddle.”
As you experience the new much cleaner world around you feel encouraged that things will only improve even more! For those of you that have been traveling, continue to do so in a sensible way. Prices are on the rise and availability for certain sectors of leisure travel are already sold out.
Many of my clients are seizing the mantra of “vaccinate, then vacate!” Let’s chat….
As Always, Happy Trails & Keep Dreaming!
**Anne Heintz is an independent travel advisor based in Washington, D.C. who creates lifetime memories for her clients located all over the world. She loves the fact that the journey creates memories and connections for her clients. She is affiliated with World-Wide Travel Associates in DC and Tzell Travel in NYC. She is co-founder and namesake of TravelAnne.com. Anne can be reached at Anne@TravelAnne.com. Follow her on Instagram @TravelAnneBlog
Another mode of travel, namely cruising will also be back this summer. By mid- July we should see the beginning of itineraries out of USA ports, BUT in the meantime more cruise lines have announced sailings out of Bermuda, Nassau, St Maarten to name a few! If the high seas are calling you, Click Here to connect and I can find something for you that’s not too far away….